Cats are quite finicky when it comes to food. If you have a cat at home, you need to ensure that their diet is nutritious as well as flavorsome. Nowadays, you have a lot of options when it comes to choosing the best cat food for your pet. You can choose between wet and dry cat foods for your cat. Even among these two categories, you can choose from organic cat food, grain-free dry cat food, gluten-free cat food, and so on depending on the age and health requirements of your cat.
Although veterinarians recommend a mix of dry and wet cat foods, dry cat foods are useful when you have a picky eater at home, who does not like to finish off an entire portion of food at one go. You can pour the dry food into your cat’s bowl, and they can eat the food as and when they want to. Read on to know more about finding the right dry food for your cat.
What is the difference between dry and wet food for cats?
- Also called kibble, dry cat food looks like biscuits. It is made with dough, about 10% water, cereals such as barley, maize, corn, or wheat, grounded meat or fish meal, and fats.
- Wet cat food has nearly 70 to 80 percent water. The other ingredients are the same as dry food. It has grounded meat or fish meal along with cereals and fats. Wet cat food is usually available in cans, trays, or in a pouch.
- Dry cat foods are loaded with carbohydrates since cereals or grains comprise a significant portion of ingredients. On the other hand, wet cat food has a higher percentage of proteins and fats as meat and animal derivatives are present in higher proportion.
- Most dry cat foods can be stored for a long time as they have some form of preservatives in them. Multiple portions of dry food can be given to your cat over a number of days. At the same time, wet cat food spoils easily which is why you will find them in packages with fixed portions and limited shelf-life.
What are the different types of dry cat food?
- Organic: This type of cat food contains organic ingredients. The percentage of organic ingredients can range from 70% to 100%.
- Natural: This type of cat food contains all-natural ingredients that come from animals, plants, and naturally-occurring minerals. There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors.
- Grain-free: This type of cat food does not contain any cereal or grains. Most dry cat foods are made from wheat, corn, barley, or rice. Grain-free dry cat foods do not contain any of these ingredients.
- Gluten-free: Gluten is a type of protein found in grains like barley, wheat, and rye. Gluten-free cat food does not contain any ingredients that have gluten. However, it should be noted that gluten-free does not necessarily mean grain-free. This is because not all grains and cereals contain gluten.
Which are some popular brands of grain-free dry cat food?
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Original Recipe: Made of 70% raw and natural protein, this grain-free dry cat food is packed with minerals and vitamins to meet the nutritional requirements of adult cats. This cat food is air-dried so that it retains its natural taste. A 2-lb bag of this dry cat food costs about $18.40.
- Canidae® Grain-Free PURE Ocean® Indoor Cat Formula: This grain-free dry cat food is made with eight key ingredients that include tuna, chickpeas, salmon meal, lentils, menhaden fish meal, and other whole foods. This dry cat food is suitable for cats with food sensitivities. It is packed with natural minerals, vitamins, and probiotic ingredients that will keep your cat healthy and strong. A 10-lb bag of this dry cat food costs about $29.99.
- Purina Beyond® Grain Free Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food: Available in different flavors (Chicken & Egg, Ocean Whitefish & Egg), this grain-free dry cat food contains high-quality natural ingredients and healthy protein sources. Without any artificial flavors or preservatives, Purina’s grain-free dry cat food meets all the nutritional requirements of your cat and it is available in three packaging sizes (3 lb., 5 lb., and 11 lb.). The price ranges from $10 to $30 approximately.
Which are some of the most well-known dry cat food products?
- Nutrish® Natural Dry Cat Food: With at least 34% protein and 14% fat, this dry cat food is enriched with phosphorus, zinc, and calcium. Packed with fiber and fatty acids, Nutrish® Natural Dry Cat Food provides all the essential nutrients to your cat.
- Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Indoor Cat Food: This dry cat food is loaded with natural antioxidants derived from vegetables and fruits. It is packed with minerals, vitamins, fats, and essential proteins.
- BLUE for Cats Adult Dry Cat Food: Enriched with healthy probiotics, this dry cat food combines the health benefits of brown rice, vegetables, and meat sources such as chicken, turkey, and salmon. The probiotics help cats that have digestion problems.
Tags: grain-free dry cat food, best dry cat food, dry cat food