Commonly described as dizziness, vertigo is a sensation of feeling off-balance. One may feel like they are spinning or the world around them is in motion. This feeling, however, is not the same as lightheadedness. Even though its adverse effects are rarely perceptible, one may experience discomfort and struggle to complete routine tasks. But there are ways to manage the effects. Many people today watch vertigo exercises videos to lower these symptoms.
Several causes can trigger vertigo. Some of these are listed below.
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
It is one of the main causes of vertigo. This condition gets triggered by sudden changes in your head position. People diagnosed with BPPV can experience vertigo when sitting up, lying down, and turning over in bed.
In this condition, fluids build up in the canals of your ear(s), which leads to vertigo. This disease can also occur due to tinnitus or ringing in the ears, consistent fluctuations in hearing, or a feeling of fullness in the ears.
This condition is a type of infection in the ears. People affected by this condition may experience vertigo, headaches, ear pain, vision change, or hearing loss.
The swelling of the vestibular nerve may cause a severe form of vertigo. In such a condition, one will also experience blurred vision or nausea. However, it doesn’t affect one’s hearing capability. If diagnosed with such a disease, one should seek a doctor’s help as soon as possible.
The main symptom of vertigo is a feeling that the room or environment is spinning. One should also be aware of other symptoms like:
- Problem in the eye’s ability to focus
- Feeling dizziness frequently
- Loss of hearing capabilities in one or both ears
- Ear ringing
- Sudden loss of balance
- Feeling of nausea and vomiting
One of the best ways to relieve vertigo is through exercise. The doctor will share specific exercises to alleviate the symptoms. Additionally, by searching for “vertigo exercises videos,” one can gain access to many videos on activities to manage vertigo. Make sure to always speak with the doctor before performing any of these activities. A few exercises are as follows.
This technique can help minimize the symptoms of vertigo, especially BPPV and labyrinthitis. The essential steps to follow are:
- Position yourself at the edge of your bed or couch.
- Lie down on your left side and turn your head so that you are looking up. Maintain your head at a 45-degree angle in the looking up position.
- Maintain that position for at least 30 seconds.
- Sit up and wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Move your head 45 degrees to the left side.
- Now, lie down on your right side and maintain that position for 30 seconds until the dizziness subsides.
- Repeat the entire procedure five times for each side.
Marching in place exercise
This will help you balance while standing and can be perceived as a stepping stone for more advanced movement techniques.
- You should stand near a wall, chair, or corner and keep your arms by your side.
- Begin marching. Try to lift your left knee followed by your right knee as you begin. You must ensure you can raise your knees as much as possible.
- You have to keep doing this 20 times.
Turning in place exercise
It is yet another way to relieve vertigo. It is almost the same process as the marching-in-place exercise. Instead of marching in position, you have to turn left and right one by one in half circles. You must repeat this exercise at least five times.
This exercise has proven to be effective for those experiencing BPPV specifically. You must follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Sit at the edge of your bed and position your head 45 degrees to the right.
- Maintain that position and lie back with your head reclining and shoulders touching the pillow gently. You have to maintain this position for at least 30 seconds.
- Without raising your head, move it 90 degrees to the left and hold for 30 seconds.
- Now, you must turn your head and body 90 degrees to the left until your face touches the pillow.
- Gently sit straight up from your left side.
Foods to manage vertigo
While the exercises can help one manage this condition, foods can play a significant part too. To tackle vertigo, one can include these food items in their daily meals.
Fruits that are packed with vitamin C can ease the sensation of vertigo. One can eat strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, guava. One can also eat potassium-rich fruits like bananas, apricots, grapes. This helps in maintaining a fluid balance in the body, and any imbalances can lead to vertigo symptoms.
One may eat vegetables as they help in alleviating vertigo symptoms. Asparagus, leafy greens, broccoli, peppers can be added to one’s daily meals.
Foods rich in protein provide sufficient energy to the body and can help in easing the symptoms. To get adequate protein, one can eat skinless chicken, fish, and organic eggs.