Here’s what you need to know about extended stay hotels
Staying at hotels can be a getaway from our daily life for most of us, as we have to stay there only for a brief period which is usually during a holiday. We don’t even need to worry about cleaning up after ourselves as we do in our apartments. Extended stay hotels are the ones that generally include a longer stay as compared to the regular hotels. These extended stay hotels are usually booked by businessmen who are on tour in a particular city, construction workers who need to stay in the city holding the construction site, people who are on long vacations, and so on.
Here’s what you must know if you wish to book at an extended stay hotel.
How are extended stay hotels different than traditional ones?
- Cost of stay – The cost of staying at an extended stay hotel is much lesser as compared to a traditional hotel. The idea is that you are only allowed to book on weekly terms, so the hotel makes enough profit and subsidized rates do not harm their books.
- Personalization – Extended stay hotels permit you to personalize the room according to your priority; however, traditional hotels do not allow this. The personalization includes setting up your voicemail on the hotel phone, if you are staying for at least a week, you can also get postal services for yourself. The laundry services are offered by the hotel, or you can also use a coin operated laundromat.
- Access to a kitchen – A traditional hotel will usually provide you with a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator, and some basic cookies or chips; although they can suffice a two or three-day stay, you cannot sustain on that for a week or two. Therefore, extended stay hotels give you access to an entirely functioning kitchen where you can cook your own food making the stay reasonable for you.
Which hotels provide best extended stay services?
There are many chains of hotels that even offer affordable extended stay hotels; here are some of the best ones (in no particular order).
- Marriott International – Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Executive Apartments, Springhill Suites, Marriott Vacation Club.
- Hilton Worldwide – Homewood suites, Home2 Suites, Hilton Grand Vacations, Embassy Suites.
- Intercontinental Hotels – Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites.
- Starwood Hotels – Elemen.
- Choice Hotels – MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay.
What is the booking process?
- Booking an extended stay hotel is similar to booking a traditional hotel.
- There are some hotels that require you to book about 3–4 days in advance when you are looking for an elongated package of the extended stay hotel.
- You can make telephonic bookings, online/mobile app bookings, or at-the-counter bookings
What are the types of packages for extended stay hotels?
Most hotels offer the following type of packages for extended stays:
Are there any tips for living in an extended stay hotel?
Do not hoard – Get rid of the stuff you do not need, this will help you a great deal. The space in an extended stay hotel will not be confined; however, moving frequently with a lot of stuff is not advisable.
Get a locker – You could get a locker or a home base where you could keep your extra material that you don’t particularly need daily.
Get a long-term rate – When booking for about a month or so, try to negotiate with the hotel staff and get a long-term (discounted) rate for your stay. This will help you save up and spend on other important things.
Book through apps – Booking through online websites can get you a discount; however, booking through apps can get you the maximum discount you can squeeze out.
What are the types of discounts offered for extended stays?
Extended stay hotels provide discounts for:
- Government members.
- Military individuals.
- Senior citizens.
- AAA members.