The best cyber security degree programs to go for in 2018
Online courses have become very popular over the last few years. There are several certified universities and agencies that offer degree programs that you can complete while sitting in the comfort of your home. These are less expensive as well. You need to ensure that you are getting your cybersecurity degree from a certified agency so that it can be beneficial to you in the future.
What is a cyber security degree program?
- A cyber security degree program is curated for those who have a background in computer technologies.
- It is created to prepare a student with skills in IT security information, cybersecurity, and most importantly, information security systems.
- It is a technical degree that gives you knowledge of theoretical concepts.
- There are also different types of cyber security degrees that you can specialize in.
What are the types of cyber security degrees?
There are different names given to cyber security degrees online. You need to go through the curriculum of each to understand what courses and topics will be covered. Here are some of the names used for cyber security degrees:
- Information assurance
- Cyber security
- Information security
- Information systems security
These are all considered as sub-categories in the field of computer science. You will be specializing further in cyber security by pursuing any of these degrees.
How can you become a cyber security specialist?
- In order to obtain this degree, you need a 4-year completed bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science, information science, computer programming, or computer engineering.
- You can apply for a course from certified institutions or vendors. Some of the institutions may even require a certain amount of work experience before you apply.
- You will have to take classes and pass a few examinations to get a degree in cybersecurity.
- You will need to study topics such as mathematics, technical writing, network security, criminal justice, and computer forensics. The subjects covered may vary with the curriculum designed by the various institutions.
What are the best cyber security degree programs you can opt for in 2018?
Here are some of the accredited and sought-after best online cyber security degrees you can opt for:
- Western Governors University: Established in 1995, this one of the universities that aimed to redesign higher education. It has 5 areas of study, of which networking and security is one of the popular courses. Students need to pass several examinations, including the Cisco-certified network associate and CCNA routing and switching certification. There are e-textbooks, simulations, and web-based tutorials that you can use as study material.
- Excelsior College: Located in New York with a student body of over 39,000 students, this is a university you can count on. It even provides an opportunity for adult learners to pursue and complete their degree in cyber security. You can opt for one of the 3 tracks from here. The first is cyber operations concentration, where you will learn about solving cyber incidents. The next is health care concentration, where you will be specializing in skills required to regulate security in the healthcare industry, and the last one is general cyber security.
- Liberty University: This is one of the best universities that offer a large number of courses online. The data networking and security program equips students with the knowledge and skill required for data security. Topics such as network security, web architecture, and security and cybersecurity are covered as part of this course. There are loads of resources available online as well.
- Wilmington University: It is known as the best school for cyber security and information assurance by the Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency. The online courses focus on computer forensics, information assurance, and digital information security. Security analyst, security technicians, and security auditors are roles that will be available to those who pursue this degree.
- Other prime online cyber security universities include the University of Illinois, Kennesaw State University, Keiser University, Ft Lauderdale, University of Maryland, and Southern New Hampshire University.
What will you do as a cyber security specialist?
You will have a long list of tasks that you are expected to do:
- Firstly, you will need to add security to the existing files and keep virus protection updated.
- You will have to run security tests on systems, data, and software used by the company you are employed with.
- You will, simultaneously, have to inform users about the security updates you are making so that they can be aware and updated as well.
- The list of activities that a security specialist is required to perform will depend on the type of company they have joined, their products, software, and the level of security required.
By completing this course, you will increase the number of job opportunities that are coming your way. You will also increase your potential salary and become sought after in the industry.