The perfect chicken pot pie recipe
A whole lot of chicken pot pie makes you a lot warmer inside.
The perfect chicken pot pies are easy and simple chicken recipes that you can make for any occasion, especially on a Thanksgiving day. This pot pie is one of the easy recipes of chicken breasts and is a must-try for those who want to make something unusual with chicken. You need not worry about going to the grocery shop, because this is one of those easy chicken recipes that can be fixed from ingredients already available in your kitchen.
What are the ingredients for the filling?
- 3 whole chicken breasts, split into 6 portions with bone and skin on
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾th cup all purpose flour
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon
- ¼th cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1½ cups frozen small whole onions
- 2 cups of medium diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 package or 10-ounce of frozen peas (2 cups)
- ½ a cup of freshly minced parsley leaves
- 1½ sticks or 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cups refined flour
- ½-2/3rd cups ice water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ pound cold unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 tbsp water (for egg wash)
- Cracked black pepper and flaked sea salt
What are the steps to prepare this dish, which is one of the easy chicken recipes?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and marinate them generously with salt and pepper. Apply some olive oil to keep the chicken breasts moist.
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until the meat is cooked to perfection. Once done, set them aside until cool enough to handle the meat. Now, debone the chicken breasts and discard the skin.
- Cut the chicken into large pieces, or you can even shred it, as per your taste. You will have 5 to 6 cups of shredded chicken.
What are the steps to make the sauce?
- To make the saucy filling, first, take a small saucepan and place it on the stove.
- Turn on the flame, heat the chicken stock, and dissolve the chicken bouillon cubes in the stock.
- Butter has to be melted, and make sure not to overheat the large pot. Sauté the yellow onions over a medium-to-low flame for 10-15 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add flour to it and cook over a low flame, stirring continuously for 2 minutes so that no lumps are formed.
- Now, add the hot chicken stock to the flour sauce. Lower the flame and let it cook for one minute, stirring until thick. Now pour the heavy cream, and add 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add in the shredded chicken, peas, carrots, onions, and parsley, and mix well.
How do you make the pastry?
- To make the pastry, add in the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of the metal blade-fitted food processor.
- Next, the butter and vegetable shortening needs to be added and quickly mixed up well with one’s fingers. Leave the motor running and pour in ice-cold water to make the flour moist and make it all come together.
- Place the dough on a floured board to knead it further into a smooth and soft ball. Wrap the dough with a cling film, allowing it to rest in the fridge for half an hour.
How do you bake the chicken pot pie?
- Divide the dough into medium lemon size balls, each rolled out into 8-inch circles. Divide the filling into equal parts. Roll the dough in ovenproof bowls and put the fillings.
- Trim it to a few inches bigger than the mouth of the bowl. Next, the dough needs to be crimped to tuck the sides, pressing it to make it stick.
- The egg wash needs to be brushed on to the dough; for this, make a cross slit in the top.
- Sprinkle with crushed pepper and sea salt.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the filling inside is hot and bubbling and the top is a wonderful golden brown in color.
- Your dish, one of the easy chicken recipes, is ready to be served.