Air pollution has reached some of the most alarming levels in most of the states in the recent years. This has started having a significant impact on the indoor air quality. This is where air purifiers come into the picture. Air purifiers clean the polluted air indoor using various kinds of filters. Here are some queries and their answers that you need to know in order to buy the best home or room air purifiers.
What are the best tips to use air purifiers efficiently?
Following factors can help you use the best home or air purifiers efficiently:
- Location: Even the best air purifiers require breathing space. So, make sure that it has a clear space of a few feet. It is advisable to clean and clear the space on all four sides for unobstructed air circulation.
- Airflow direction: It is important to direct the flow of air purifiers in the right direction. Make sure that the air purifier is directed where you will get the maximum benefit.
- Keep it turned on: This factor is important, especially, for homes with smokers and for people who suffer from respiratory disorders like allergies and asthma. The best air purifiers are energy efficient so it won’t consume much electricity even if they are kept turned on.
- Change filters regularly: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintaining the air purifiers. Carbon and high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters require annual cleaning. Other than this, washable filters should be cleaned every 10 days.
Which are the top air purifier brands?
Here are the three top-rated air purifiers based on customer reviews:
- Honeywell 50250-s: It is one of the best HEPA home air purifiers based on customer reviews. This air purifier manages to capture particles and air pollutants as small as 0.3 microns. These units are more than capable of trapping and filtering pollen dust, pet dander, and even smoke particulates.
- GermGuardian AC4100: This is a 3-in-1 air cleaning system containing the HEPA filters. These are small filters designed to take less space. You can set them at the end of a table or a desk. The HEPA filter captures pollutants greater than 0.3 microns. They also have UVC lights that kill airborne germs and bacteria. It also decomposes odor caused by cigarette smoke or pets.
- Holmes HEPA type desktop air purifiers: These are one of the best budget air purifiers. Holmes unit can filter airborne particles as small as 2 microns. The second filter uses activated carbon to remove pesky odors. It also features microban coating to protect the users against molds, mildew, and bacteria growth.
What are the pros and cons of air purifiers?
- Pros: The air purifiers are portable, and they weigh not more than 10 to 20 pounds. The best air purifiers are made of HEPA filter that captures ultrafine particles. They clean air efficiently and are best suited for people suffering from respiratory disorders like asthma.
- Cons: Although portable, some air purifiers use electrostatic precipitator and ionizer technology that produces ozone, which is a lung irritant. The air purifiers might not be as effective as marketed to get rid of bad odor. Air purifiers demand high maintenance as you need to clean the filters on a weekly basis.
Which are the most useful features of air purifiers?
Following are the most useful features of the best air purifiers:
- Fan: This is required to suck in the air for filtration. The purifiers that don’t have fans use the natural circulation of the room and function more quietly.
- Programmable timer: It allows the user to set and run the purifier for the selected time frame. This feature helps in energy saving.
- Fan speed: The best air purifiers can help you adjust the fan speed. You can lower the same when sleeping or working and increase when its prime pollen time.
- Dirt sensor: This feature helps in adjusting the fan speed based on the level of dust present in the air.
- Washable pre-filter: This type of filter collects large particles; a washable filter helps in cutting the overall cleaning costs of the air purifier and ensures a cleaner air circulation.